The final word

The Ramayana is hailed as representing the Saranagati Sastra as it propagates the Lord’s vow to give refuge to all those who seek His feet, said Sri B. Sundarkumar in a discourse. Rama makes a loud proclamation of His final and decisive promise when He goes ahead to accept Vibhishana unconditionally.

Vibhishana’s case is a pretext to announce this prime mission even as Krishna promises faith and hope of redemption to jivatmas in the Bhagavad Gita. This sacred vow is the final word of the Lord that is celebrated as the Charama Sloka that erring jivatmas can hold on to with faith to gain liberation.

Vibhishana stands in mid air with four other loyal
companions, and makes known his intention to seek Rama’s
refuge. There is mixed reaction in the vanara assembly who
naturally suspect the motives of Ravana’s brother who has
been disowned and thrown out of Lanka. How could such a
person be trusted? They are unable to feel the depth of his
frank and direct appeal that reflects his truthful nature and
his realisation of Rama as the ultimate goal.

Rama spells forth His vow in unambiguous terms. “Let me
make known my Sankalpa. I cannot reject anyone who comes seeking my help even once. He may come with the bhava of friendship. Or he may have flaws. Even if Vibhishana’s intentions are against us, even if he is good or bad, his influence has no bearing on me. None can cause any harm to me. Know that if I decide to cause annihilation, I can destroy all asuras, pishachas, yakshas and others easily with the mere tip of my finger. In fact, I have already accepted Vibhishana when he asked for help. So you may bring the person who has sought my refuge. It does not matter if he is Vibhishana or Ravana.” Rama then quotes the example of the selflessness of the bird to appease the hunger of the hunter who had killed its mate


Comments